[Haskell-cafe] Re: exceptions vs. Either

MR K P SCHUPKE k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 05:40:10 EDT 2004

What can I say... Static typing guarantees is what made me switch from
object oriented languages like C++/ObjectiveC/Java (that and the availability
of a good compiler) - So I am obviously in favour of more static guarantees -
I believe programming by contract is the way to reliable _engineered_ software,
so the more contractual obligations that can be concisely and clearly expressed
in the type system the better. I think Haskell should support dependant types,
after all if you don't want to use them you don't have to... (backwards compatability
and all that) although it would be useful to have a replacement prelude that
used dependant types versions of head etc...

I have a hard time understanding why functional programmers would not want
more static typing guarantees, after all they can always use C if they
dont like type systems!

Keean.