[Haskell-cafe] Multiprocessor compiling.

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Sun Aug 1 12:55:49 EDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Alastair Reid wrote:
> On Saturday 31 July 2004 09:11, Matthew Roberts wrote:
> > tell us the fundamental reason it is hard to compile Haskell
> > for multiple processor machines - in broad strokes.
>
> Unpredictability, heavy use of heap and overly fine granularity of inherent
> parallelism.

How well does GPH solve the first two of these
problems (I think it solves the third by asking
the programmer for parallel annotations)?

Also, if you use forkOS, doesn't your app
inevitably distribute itself accross multiple
processors if the OS runs threads that way?
If the OS does run threads that way, are you
saying that forkOS is *very* inefficient (or does
the forkOS implementation in e.g. GHC solve the
problems you describe)?

-Alex-