[Haskell-cafe] Re: Is it possible to read existential types?

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 26 11:42:43 EDT 2004

S. Alexander Jacobson <alex at alexjacobson.com> wrote in article <Pine.WNT.4.53.0404260740320.2516 at philo> in gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe:
> Is is possible to read/show an existentially typed
> list?
>
> Would it be possible if, instead of using
> read/show, I defined some variant that relies on
> the typeof/typeable infrastructure?  Is there a
> way to read in a typename for use in coercing a
> read?

Dylan Thurston and I encountered this problem a while ago.  Show is
easy: just use a type like "exists a. Show a => ...".  Read is hard,
because one needs to get the Read dictionary from somewhere, and
the dynamic typing facility in Haskell does not include type-class
constraint reduction at runtime.  The best solution we came up with was
to replace the existentially typed list with a list of string-string
pairs, where the first string names the type and the second string names
the value.  The call to "read" is only done at lookup time, not at
file-reading time.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
Be it declared and enacted by this present Parliament / That the People