[Haskell-cafe] Splitting a list (Modified by Doaitse Swierstra)

Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at cs.uu.nl
Wed Apr 21 23:44:31 EDT 2004

I have the impression that my posting did not make it, so I am trying
again:

How about:

splitList weight l
  = munch l weight
    where munch [] _ = [[]]
          munch p@(x:xs) w  = if w >= x
                              then  let (r:rr) = munch xs (w-x)
                                    in  (x:r):rr
                              else  []:munch p weight

main = print (splitList 18  [1,5,3,17,8,9])

Doaitse Swierstra

PS: note that your problem is a bit underspecified:

  -- what to return for an empty list
  -- what to do if a number is larger than the weight