newbie question regarding type declarations

Greg Buchholz sleepingsquirrel at sleepingsquirrel.org
Fri Oct 31 22:34:35 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, gangadhar npk wrote:

> hi,
>   I am a newbie to Haskell. I am reading the tutorial by Hal Daume III.
>  Regarding the function types which are an extension of lambda calculus,
>  I was wondering if at all it is possible to write a type that would
>  return two values as the output - something like a square function
>  which would take a pair and return a pair. I tried this, but there are
>  errors
>
> square :: (Num a, Num b) => (a ,b)
> square (x , y) = (x*x , y*y)
> How can I specify that the square functions output would be a pair ?

	I'm also a Haskell newb, but I believe "Num" is actually a class
of types, not an actual type itself.  So you can't sustitute it for the
"Integer"  type below...

square :: (Integer, Integer) -> (Integer, Integer)

...Instead you have to say...

square :: (Num a, Num b) => (a,b) -> (a,b)

...Note the use of both the big arrow (=>) and the small arrow (->).  This
is the most general type you could make for this particular function and
allows you to mix amd match arguments like...

square(3, 4)
square(3.14, 4)
square(2.718, 6.022)
etc.