Cast from and to CChar

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Tue Oct 28 19:36:37 EST 2003

W liście z wto, 28-10-2003, godz. 12:30, Christian Buschmann pisze:

> But what is the good reason that show is doing it that way? Wouldn't it
> be better to output the 'ü' as a 'ü' instead of a code?

Then don't use show, output characters directly (putChar, putStr).

> I thought that Char in Haskell is working with Unicodes?

In theory yes, but there is no library infrastructure for conversion
between Unicode and external byte encodings yet. For most programs
which work with a single encoding it doesn't hurt, although they are
misusing Char values if the encoding is not ISO-8859-1.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/