Library function discovery (was: "listProduct" -- is this a standard function?)

Graham Klyne gk at
Mon Oct 20 11:08:34 EDT 2003

At 16:38 17/10/03 -0700, Brandon Michael Moore wrote:
>The suggestion of a "types that specialize to/unify with this type" search
>would be really useful.

My main interest in Haskell is as a "scripting language" for semantic web
applications (cf [1] et seq).  Your comment suggests a possible application
that might be built from the tools I'm currently developing [4].

I would guess it would be feasible to modify Haddock to generate RDF [2]
descriptions of library functions as an alternative to HTML (or, maybe
better still, generate a form of XHTML with additional embedded markup that
can be used to extract RDF from HTML using a simple XSLT stylesheet, cf. [3]).

It would be an interesting test of my inference toolkit to see if it can
handle the unification required to match function signatures for this;  I
think it would be moderately straightforward to do in bare Haskell (not
having to worry too much about language corner cases for such an application).

-- cites article about what makes a popular language:

-- This is an example of using one of several techniques described in:

-- Announcing first phase of my Swish software, with links

Graham Klyne
For email: