"interact" behaves oddly if used interactively

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sat Oct 4 00:35:34 EDT 2003

> I completely agree with Thomas Hallgren's message. I also view the IO
> monad as a temporary solution and regret that research into better lazy
> IO seems to have stoped.

Well, not everywhere. Since noone else has mentioned it so far,
it is worth throwing in the obligatory reference to the Software
Technology department of the University of Nijmegen.

"obligatory", because IO is perhaps the main area in which
Clean has kept offering alternatives to Haskell, and recently,
they have again taken the lead in this (IMHO). It is well
worth browsing through their publication list,

    http://www.cs.kun.nl/st/Onderzoek/Publicaties/publicaties.html

but perhaps a good starting point for this discussion is:

    Martijn Vervoort and Rinus Plasmeijer.
    Lazy Dynamic Input/Output in the lazy functional language Clean.
    To appear in Selected Papers Proceedings 14th International
    Workshop on the Implementation of Functional Languages,
    IFL 2002, Madrid, Spain, September 16-18, 2002.
    ftp://ftp.cs.kun.nl/pub/Clean/papers/2003/verm2003-LazyDynamicIO.ps.gz

Cheers,
Claus