"interact" behaves oddly if used interactively

Nicholas Nethercote njn25 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 12:15:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> Yes, but I think that the reason for laziness is not to make compiler
> constructors' lifes easier but language users'.

I appreciate the prefer-users'-ease-over-compiler-writers' idea.  For
example, syntactic sugar can be a great thing.  But I think there's a
point where it becomes too much.  Haskell has arguably passed that point.
C++ arguably has too.

Also, I'm not convinced that laziness does make users' lives easier --
witness a lot of the traffic on this list.  Witness the subject of this
thread.  In which case the extra difficulty heaped upon compiler writers
is of questionable value.

Just my two cents.