Help: writing ffi bindings to a C library

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley@ldn.invesco.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 16:17:18 +0100

So...

I'm still trying to write this Oracle OCI ffi binding. Can anyone tell me
how to declare the Haskell type for this function:

sword   OCIEnvCreate (OCIEnv **envp, ub4 mode, dvoid *ctxp,
                 dvoid *(*malocfp)(dvoid *ctxp, size_t size),
                 dvoid *(*ralocfp)(dvoid *ctxp, dvoid *memptr, size_t
newsize),
                 void   (*mfreefp)(dvoid *ctxp, dvoid *memptr),
                 size_t xtramem_sz, dvoid **usrmempp);

Note that when I use it, I'm passing 0 (NULL) into almost all of the args,
so the usage in C is typically:

	rc = OCIEnvCreate(&envhp, OCI_DEFAULT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

i.e. I don't care about most of the args, so that should make the Haskell
declaration simpler. Some of the arguments are pointers to functions, for
example.

What I can't figure out is how to declare the type of the first arg. Is is
Ptr (Ptr OCIEnv) ?

Here's what I have so far (not much, I know):

> module Main where
> import Foreign
> import Foreign.C.Types
> import Foreign.C.String
> import Foreign.Ptr

> data OCIEnv

> foreign import ccall "oci.h OCIEnvCreate" ociEnvCreate :: Ptr OCIEnv ->
Int -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Int