I am just starting out

sashan sashang@ihug.co.nz
Sat, 24 May 2003 14:57:05 +1200

--------------030608090207010603050007

>>From a practical perspective, unless you want to pursue a career in
>>academia,  you should focus on a language like Java or C++, since these
>>are far more marketable than Haskell.
>>

>I disagree.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with? That Java and C++ are more
marketable than Haskell?
That focusing on Java or C++ is a bad idea? I'm not saying ignore
Haskell. I'm saying if
you spend x amount of time on Haskell then you should spend 2x or 3x on
C++ or Java working with
the language and surrounding modules/APIs.

>A very important skill these days is the ability to pick up a new
>language quickly.  Being familiar with how very different kinds of
>programming language work is going to get you a long way there.

True.

--------------030608090207010603050007

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
 cite="mid20030524020910.GC14812@smtp.alicorna.com">
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">From a practical perspective, unless you want to pursue a career in
academia,  you should focus on a language like Java or C++, since these
are far more marketable than Haskell.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I disagree.</pre>
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with? That Java and C++ are more
marketable than Haskell?<br>
That focusing on Java or C++ is a bad idea? I'm not saying ignore
Haskell. I'm saying if <br>
you spend x amount of time on Haskell then you should spend 2x or 3x on
C++ or Java working with<br>
the language and surrounding modules/APIs.<br>
 cite="mid20030524020910.GC14812@smtp.alicorna.com">
  <pre wrap="">

A very important skill these days is the ability to pick up a new
language quickly.  Being familiar with how very different kinds of
programming language work is going to get you a long way there.
  </pre>
True. <br>

--------------030608090207010603050007--