speedup help

Damien R. Sullivan dasulliv@cs.indiana.edu
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:45:47 -0500

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:23:44PM -0600, Bill Wood wrote:

> I couldn't get getCPUTime (from module CPUTime) to work for me; if

Yeah, I had the same problem -- it would just return ten million or some other
number, consistently.  Use of getClockTime and diffClockTimes didn't help
either.

> anyone can enlighten me on how to get timing of function execution

For my purposes I run my program prefixed with the Unix command 'time', and
with minimal output because printing 25k of rational digits seems to take a
while.  Having found parameters which finish in just under a minute I then
rerun with output.  Then I try to convince my TA this is valid. :)

> BTW profiling didn't work; when I tried to compile with profiling

I was having problems with ghc 5.04; I got told to try 5.04.2 and haven't had
problems since.  Blessed be my sysadmins who responded quickly.

To Oleg: I know about odd Bernoullis being zero and use that in the Bernoulli
function itself; I hadn't thought about trying to simplify sumbn itself.
Interesting...

-xx- Damien X-)