ForeignPtr question (was Re: debug with GHC FFI?)

paul@theV.net paul@theV.net
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:57:23 +0800

I am using Green Card 2.05, but it seems to me that its support
for Ptr/Addr types are not up-to-date. I then use ForeignPtr
to marshall a C structure, but have some problem with pointers
which is garbage collected too early.

Here is a code sample:

------------------------ snip ------------------------

%fun destroyByteBuffer ::  Addr -> IO ()
%code if (arg1) { free(arg1); }
%result ()

data ByteBufferType = ByteBufferType
type ByteBuffer = ForeignPtr ByteBufferType

marshall_byteBuffer :: ByteBuffer -> IO Addr
marshall_byteBuffer ptr = withForeignPtr ptr (\x -> return (ptrToAddr x))

unmarshall_byteBuffer :: Addr -> IO ByteBuffer
unmarshall_byteBuffer addr = newForeignPtr (addrToPtr addr) (destroyByteBuffer addr)

%fun readInt :: ByteBuffer -> IO Int
%call (byteBuffer (addr bf))
%code INT32 r, v = 0;
%     r = bb_get_int((Byte_Buffer *) bf, &v);
%fail {r != _NO_ERR} {"readInt failed"}
%result (int v)

------------------------ snip ------------------------

The code would sometimes segfault in bb_get_int(..), and since
it was coded in a separate C file, I was able to trace down
the error in GDB, which hinted that, part of the C structure in
"bf" was already freed prior to the bb_get_int(..) function call.

So my guess is that "destroyByteBuffer" was invoked even when
I use "withForeignPtr" to marshall the ByteBuffer type.

What did I do wrong here? Is it a bug with Greencard or something
I am still missing when constructing a garbage collectible
ForeignPtr in FFI?

Regards,
.paul.