speedup help update

Damien R. Sullivan dasulliv@cs.indiana.edu
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:03:17 -0500

I would like to say that programming this project (calculate the
Euler-Mascheroni constant to as many digits as possible in a minute) in
Haskell has been fairly pleasant overall.  The startup time was a bit oogy
-- ocaml was faster to get a working program -- and ghc's compilation time
continues to aggravate me (10x slower than ocaml, or even slower with -O --
but then the code's faster), and I fear getting my code really efficient will
be a pain.  But the code itself is nice and elegant and it was neat being able
to do sums on list comprehensions.  My code tends to map pretty
straightforwardly to the math on paper, which is really nice for being assured
of correctness.

-xx- Damien X-)