Parsing CSV files

Graham Klyne GK@ninebynine.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:33:07 +0100

At 11:40 29/07/03 -0700, John Meacham wrote:
>Hey, I wrote a CSV parser too. seeing as how this seems like a common
>thing (having 3 independent implementations at least), perhaps it
>belongs in libraries somewhere? some area dedicated to useful little
>grammers would be handy. csv, c header files, .x (rpcgen), various
>preference file formats, etc...

Maybe the approach to standard library should be via a "cookbook" of some kind?

I tend to find that with functions like reading CSV, different applications
have slightly different requirements, so it doesn't always help to have a
one-size-fits-all function in the library, at least until the range of
variations is well understood.

Which is all by way of agreeing with your second suggestion.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>