Handling large ini files.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk olczyk@interaccess.com
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:54:47 -0500

A while ago I looked at Haskell. I got stuck on a problem which
basically caused me to stop using Haskell.

Realising that I never asked anyone else how they would approach the
deal, I decided to ask before I put the final chapter on Haskell.

I have a program that requires a lot of customisation.
As a result there is an initialization file with many entries
( typically 30-80 entries ). Some of these entries need to be
accessed quite often, so that opening the file and reading in on
demand is not really an option.

So the basic question is how do I handle access to these parameters?

PS: I've thought of Hugh's approach to global variables, but even with
compound data structures it really isn't practical for such a large
number. Not even when creating compound structures to hold the data.
Worse you wind up with data structures which are not coherent having
only the fact that each is a customisation in common.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk
Think twice, code once.