Arrays and arrays

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
22 Jan 2003 07:51:33 +0100

Hal Daume III <hdaume@ISI.EDU> writes:

[snip my functions that use the ST monad to do (//)]

> You shouldn't try to write these functions.  You should do all array
> modifications within the ST monad, rather than looking for a pure
> solution.

All right, but why?  It seems an obvious trick, take some pieces that
benefit from imperative processing, and wrap them in ST, leaving the
rest of the program as it were.

Can you (or anybody else) explain the memory behaviour I see (using
hundreds of megabytes, but only tens of K visible in the profiling
output)?

-kzm