Haskell-Cafe digest, Vol 1 #616 - 12 msgs

Chevalier Dr. Dr. Ruediger Marcus Flaig flaig@cirith-ungol.sanctacaris.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:17:35 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 13. Februar 2003 18:01 schrieb=20
haskell-cafe-request@haskell.org:
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:06:53 +0100
> From: Jerzy Karczmarczuk <karczma@info.unicaen.fr>
> Cc: haskell@haskell.org, haskell-cafe@haskell.org
> Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Learning Haskell portal, version 0.1
>
> Arjan van IJzendoorn wrote:
> > Often we see messages from people who want to learn Haskell (somethin=
g we
> > applaud), but don't know where to begin.

> > Enough talk: http://www.cs.uu.nl/~afie/haskell/LearningHaskell.html
>
> Thanks, Arjan, nice work.
> I would add some significant papers, such as John Hughes'
> "Why functional programming matters", etc.
>
> and perhaps - for some, a little bit advanced readers - some
> other papers, introducing type classes, perhaps monads (Wadler)
> etc. Everything can be found through the Home of Haskell, but
> gathering essential references on your page would shorten the
> search path.
>
> I believe - from some discussions here and on comp.lang.functional
> (some of them quite annoying...) that it would perhaps be a good
> idea to put down a relatively comprehensive, easy comparison
> between Haskell and other languages, notably functional: Clean,
> also: Scheme, absolutely: ML variants, and Erlang.
> Such questions are, and will continue to be recurring.
>

> Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Excellent idea -- if you need a volunteer, contact me (I am familiar with=
=20
Erlang, the Lisp/Scheme group and CAML).=20
But I would also suggest to include the declarative languages such as Pro=
log=20
and Mercury, if we can find anyone who knows -- the Mercury homepage (sor=
ry,=20
I don't have the URL right now, it was something long and winding) contai=
ns=20
an explicit comparison between Mercury and Haskell. (A rather fair and=20
objective one, it must be pointed out!)
And maybe one should also add a few lines about hybrids such as Python?

Yours,
  Ruediger M. Flaig

--=20
"I was always told that death and taxes are no subjects for discussion."
"Well... the one does not concern me."
"And the other?"
"I admit that I do not pay taxes either."
     -- Diane Duane: "The Wounded Sky"