Poll: How to respond to homework questions

mgross@dorsai.org mgross@dorsai.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:09:25 -0400 (EDT)

> (A) Give a perfect answer.
> (B) Give a subtly flawed answer.
> (C) Give an obfuscated answer.
> (D) Give a critique of what the questioner has tried so far.
> (E) Give relevant general advice without answering the specific question.

As a general rule, I require any student who comes to me for help to
demonstrate that he (she) has made an attempt to solve the problem. After
that, I have found a combination of D and E gets the best results. Please
note that I encourage my students to ask for help if they are stuck after
making an honest effort (for various reasons ranging from outright fear to
simple lack of knowledge about how to relate to college instructors, many
won't even approach their instructors without such an instruction).

Murray Gross
Brooklyn College