haskell reify, was sequencing data structures

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:05:27 +0100

=20
>    - There needs to be some support from the=20
> compilers/interpreters. Hugs=20
>      already has this. Ghc has some of it, but I abuse the=20
> profiling system
>      in order to get the names of constructors to be present=20
> on the heap.
>      I'm not happy with this. Under normal compilation GHC=20
> doesn't keep
>      constructor names around, as far as I know. However, the=20
> new debugger
>      in GHC must do something to get names of things, so perhaps the
>      -prof hack is no longer needed?

I believe the debugger that Robert Ennals is working on tries to infer
constructor names from the symbol table of the binary.  Personally, I'd
like to see debugging info placed in a separate segment of the binary,
so it won't be loaded with the code but can be used by a debugger.

Cheers,
	Simon