Database interface

Tom Pledger Tom.Pledger@peace.com
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:13:46 +1200

Tim Docker writes:

 | oleg@pobox.com wrote:
 |
 | > If I may interject, that's precisely how a Scheme DB interface is
 | > designed. The main function is a left-fold. Not quite though: it
 | > provides for a premature termination:
 | >
 | > A major procedure: DB1:fold-left PROC INITIAL-SEED QUERY-OBJECT
 |
 | Premature termination sounds like a useful property. I can
 | see two ways this could be done: keep the previous signature,
 | and use an exception to exit early, or add a boolean return
 | value like the scheme version:
 |
 |    doquery :: Process -> String -> (a -> b  -> IO (b,Bool)) -> b -> IO b
 |
 | Any opinions on which alternative wouuld be preferable?

I don't have a preference, but offer this view of the options:

    With an exception, "Stop, and return the last b you saw."
    With a boolean,    "Stop, and return this b."

By the way, how does the  a  in  a -> b -> IO (b, Bool)  work?
It looks like it has something to do with the current row.  Does
doquery have to accommodate any possible substitution for  a ?

- Tom