[OT[ proving programs for novices

Doaitse Swierstra doaitse@cs.uu.nl
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:49:38 +0200

I would say that is has the level of Gries' boek, in the sense that it
can be read almost without any mathematical background, but it is more
in the style of the latter in requiring a mathematical attitude. I
consider the latter definitely not a book for first year students,
whereas Gries and Backhouse both could serve that role very well.

I think that Gries is quite old-fashioned by now, not paying attention
any attention to calculational proofs; I conder prediacte calculus as
the assembly language of program verification and Gries' book
demonstrates this point of vieuw. backhouse is more modern and shows
"style".

   Doaitse Swierstra