Hiring Haskell programmers

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:24:31 +1100

Mark Carroll <mark@chaos.x-philes.com> wrote,

> How easy is it to hire reasonable Haskell programmers? Of course, this may
> mean, hiring people with the aptitude and interest to quickly learn
> Haskell. Has anyone any experience of this that they can share?

Depends where you are, I guess.  In Sydney, it would be
easy.  We are teaching Haskell to about 1500 first-year
students every year.  Many of them are not CS majors and so
probably wouldn't fit your bill, but a large number of our
School's graduates have enough experience in imperative, OO,
and functional programming that they can work in any of
these areas.

I know that there are a number of schools in Germany and the
UK who teach functional programming on a large scale, too.
Not so sure about the rest of the planet.  At least MIT and
Rice should produce some Scheme programmers ;-)

You might like to enquire at some universities close to you
where you are located whether any of their graduates may be
useful to you.

Cheers,
Manuel