Hiring Haskell programmers

Cagdas Ozgenc co19@cornell.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:31:11 +0200

> At 2002-03-11 17:05, Mark Carroll wrote:
>
> >When I first learned Standard ML, after years of imperative
> >programming, my brain almost hurt for the first few weeks.
>
> For me the difference is that in imperative you tell the computer what to
> do, whereas in FP you tell the computer what things are.

In FP you tell the computer "how" to do. The "control" is included. The
languages where you tell "what" are the logic languages. In logic languages
"control" is the hint to optimize things, and they are optional. In FP you
tell "how" to do in a sequence independent manner, but you still embed the
"control" in it.