Hiring Haskell programmers

Mark Carroll mark@chaos.x-philes.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:05:55 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Konst Sushenko wrote:

> I have always been wondering what exactly does "quickly learn Haskell"
> mean? Quickly learn Haskell syntax? Can one learn how to paint quickly?

Be able to modify or add to the code base within a few weeks, in such a
way that somebody doesn't have to come back later and repair your work.
(-: So, no, not just the syntax: much harder, in my opinion, is to learn
how to phrase even just simple algorithms in an efficient and functional
way. When I first learned Standard ML, after years of imperative
programming, my brain almost hurt for the first few weeks.

-- Mark