can a lazy language give fast code?Fair answer.

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:53:33 +1000 (EST)

"Scott J." <jscott@planetinternet.be> wrote,

> I don't think I have got a fair answer to my questions regarding these
> (silly?) benchmarks. I cannot write the programs with the unboxed "things",
> but I have both the Ocaml compiler and the latest Glasgow compiler installed
> on my windows XP machine. So, if someone sends the programs I'll type it in
> and let you know these results. I don't want to be impolite : the fact that
> I am on this list proves that I am seriously interested in the elegance of
> Haskell. But I am searching a language to program in it: I think e.g. to a
> front end of the Lout typesetting program. Also I have the impression that
> such fancy things as HOpenGL are not for windows because of the GTK
> bindings.

HOpenGL runs under windows.  The GTK+ binding will too after
it has been moved over to track GTK+ 2.0.

> It seems that I have to move to a Linux OS.

I think that this is generally a very advisable thing to do
:-)

Cheers,
Manuel