can a lazy language give fast code?

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:04:57 +1000

G'day all.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 01:57:58PM +0200, Josef Svenningsson wrote:

> I think the reason why Haskell compilers aren't generating any faster code
> is that there is a lack of competition among different compilers. And I
> think that the lack of competition depends on that noone wants to write a
> front-end to Haskell.

There's no competition in Haskell compilers because there is no
money in it.  It might not even be "boring work" in most cases.
The reality is that if there's no research quota or postgraduate
degree to be gained, nobody will fund a university or other research
institution to actually do the work.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage