converting capital letters into small letters

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:52:37 -0700

At 2002-07-25 19:07, Andrew J Bromage wrote:

>> 1. How would I convert capital letters into small letters?
>> 2. How would I remove vowels from a string?
>
>As you've probably found out, these are very hard problems.

The build process of my HBase project automatically downloads the
official data files from the Unicode web-site and automatically converts
them into useful Haskell functions by the miracle of m4 -- including this
one:

	 toUpperCase :: Char -> Char;

I also have the names for all the characters, because hard-drive space is
cheap:

  getCharacterName :: Char -> String;

...and many other useful normative and informative character properties,
such as general category, etc.

See <http://sourceforge.net/projects/hbase/>. Mind you it's in a bit of
an odd state right now.

As for vowels, I'm pretty sure Unicode has nothing to say on the subject,
as different languages may share the same characters but have different
ideas as to what is and what isn't a vowel.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA