performance of monads

Jon Fairbairn
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:05:48 +0000

> I see a lot of literature that says that monads "simulate" the effects =
> imperative programming concepts.

I think that's just bad wording.  To take a rather trite
point of view, in a language such as C /everything/ is done
within a monad, and all types, even int, are really IO
something (IO Int).

In Haskell you may see costs associated with using Monads,
but they are mainly to do with dealing with the difficulties
that arise from having laziness everywhere.

-- =

J=F3n Fairbairn
31 Chalmers Road
Cambridge CB1 3SZ            +44 1223 570179 (after 14:00 only, please!)