Survival of generic-classes in ghc

Patrik Jansson patrikj@cs.chalmers.se
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:20:06 +0100 (MET)

The page

  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/set/generic-classes.html

starts with the text

  (Note: support for generic classes is currently broken in GHC 5.02).

and I know from testing earlier versions that the generic-classes support
was pretty buggy. Is there any hope of a revival? Does it already work in
CVS? I suspect it will rot away if nobody works on it.

Any comments from the implementors - does the idea "fit well" with ghc? Is
it a lot of work to make it more stable?

/Patrik

PS. I guess I should try to find resources (interested students) for a
    project on making the ghc generic classes really work.