Editor Tab Expansion

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
06 Dec 2002 09:50:33 +0100

John Meacham <john@repetae.net> writes:

> rather than start layout blocks right after the 'let' 'do' or 'where',
> put them on the next line with one more tabstop than the current
> line.

I've also a bit baffled by all the people apparently struggling with
layout; I realize the rules are a bit complex, but it's something that
"just works" for me.
But then I also use this convention, (except in really simple cases:

        f x = let y = g x in h y
        f x = h y where y = g x

(It could be because I use Emacs, though, where the hs mode has TAB
cycling through the possible indentations.)

> this makes your code independent of the tabstop and much easier to work
> with IMHO.

Also it is safer if you are using non-ASCII characters, e.g.

        f \x06de = case \x06de of foo -> bar
                             blah ->   -- where to align this?

-kzm