Editor Tab Expansion

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:34:19 +1100

G'day all.

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:49:27PM +0100, Ingo Wechsung wrote:

> I am not going to change my editing habits just to make hugs or ghc happy.

What editor do you use?  If you use a relatively smart one (e.g. vim,
emacs etc), you should be able to configure it to do it to do what you
want when the extension is .hs or .lhs or whatever.

I use vim and I have been known to use the following:

	set ts=8
	set sts=4	" Or sometimes 2

With either expandtab or noexpandtab as the mood takes me.  That way,
when I hit "tab" I get 2 or 4 spaces, which are expanded to an 8-space
tab if I hit it enough times.

> Wether spaces or tabs are better in source files is a matter of taste and
> a language should not force me to use one or another.

The language does not force you to do anything of the sort.  It's your
editor's fault if it can't decouple the concept of hitting the tab
key from the concept of putting a ^I character in your file.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage