Editor Tab Expansion

Christopher Milton cmiltonperl@yahoo.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:07:21 -0800 (PST)

I think the compiler sees ^I and not spaces.

The layout rule follows similar guidelines to good
indenting practice expected in organizations that
program in other languages.

If you use (g)vim to edit, you can :set expandtab
to only use spaces for tabs. We do that where I
work after some grumblings over whether a tab
should represent 4 or 8 spaces. Now we use 4 spaces
and no tabs. (:set list  works in most vi flavors
to show whether tab is spaces or ^I chars.)

There are ways to implement it in (n)vi described
in the vi FAQ published each month in comp.editors
on Usenet and Google Groups.

Also availble at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/editors/

Also, be careful to write "let ... in ..." in lowercase.
Haskell is case sensitive.

--- Ingo Wechsung <iw@contexo.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Haskell and FP in general and I find it great.
>
> Having more than 10 years expirience with "whitespace does not matter"
> languages,
> the only thing that drives me crazy is the layout rule.
>
> As far as I understand it, I have 2 options:
>
> 1. Use braces and semicolons and ignore the layout rules.
>
> 2. Change the settings in all my editors so that the code looks like the
> Haskell compiler sees it.
> Currently, I expand tabs to 4 spaces only, so
>
> \tx=bar
>
> looks like
>
> ____foo = bar
>
> to me when the compiler sees
>
> ________foo = bar
>
> I would not want to change dozens of .exrc files, shell startup files with
> and/or ultraedit settings on many different machines.
> I also do not want to care whether there are spaces or tabs in front of my
> source code lines.
>
> So I'm stuck with option 1, right?
> Just to be sure, can I really, really forget about layout if I write fully
> braced and semicolonoized code?
>
> Besides, is there any reason why the syntax is LET { decl1; decl2; ... } IN
> expr when LET and IN are sufficient enough to enclose the declarations?
>
> Greetings,
> Ingo

=====
Christopher Milton