Newbie question, installing hugs on redhat 7.2

S H shandley_42@yahoo.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:07:43 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to install the current version of hugs on a
red hat 7.1 system (running on VMWare 2.0.1 on top of
Win 2K).

I downloaded the file hugs98-Dec2001-1.i386.rpm onto
the freshly-installed red hat 7.1 (no other software
has been installed).  It complains that
libreadline.so.4 is needed.  The system has the
package readline-4.1-9 installed which provides
libreadline.so.4.1.  It appears to require exactly
libreadline.so.4 (not >= 4). So, I tried uninstalling
readline-4.1-9 so as to install the older package but
it complained (unsurprisingly) that lots of packages
rely on readline so it wouldn't erase it.  I could try
a --force with the erase but that seems a tad drastic.

Does anyone know a workaround for this, or please tell
me if I'm just doing something stupid.

Thanks!

Simon Handley
Palo Alto, CA, USA