Newbie question on "statefullness"

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:03:11 +1000

G'day all.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 10:06:51PM +0100, Alistair Bayley wrote:

> OTOH, if you want to do anything useful with any language you have to learn
> to do IO (and simple IO is tackled early in most languages), and therefore
> you must deal with Monads. I often wish that Haskell books and tutorials
> would introduce IO earlier; it is often near the end, in the "advanced"
> topics (after you've been dazzled/saturated by the magic you can do with list
> functions and comprehensions, and how easy it is to create abstract
> datatypes, and write parsers, etc...).

Being fair for a moment, most Haskell books are intended as
undergraduate computer science textbooks.  There are many purposes
of these introductory courses, but learning a particular programming
language is not one of them.  You can teach a lot of computer science
without getting bogged down in the details of doing IO.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage