streching storage manager

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 20:28:29 +0900

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 05:31:20PM +0800, Saswat Anand wrote:
> I have a very large time-series data. I need to perform some operation on
> that. At any instant of time, I only need a window-full of data, size of
> window being known. Starting from the first point, I slide the window
> towards right and operate on the data that reside in the current window.

This sounds perfectly suited to Haskell's standard lazy lists.  If you
only keep a pointer to the beginning of the data you need to work on,
then Haskell will automatically read in exactly as much data as you
use and GC it away after you are done with it.  The downside is that
accessing elements within the window will take time O(window size).
Are the windows large enough that this is a concern?

Best,
	Dylan Thurston