let/where

Brian Boutel brian@nzcs.org.nz
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:57:05 +1200

Norman Ramsey wrote:

> Was it not considered to forbid such ambiguous expressions, requiring
> explicit parentheses to resolve the ambiguity?

Yes. At one time some expressions using infix operators at the same
precedence had to be parenthesised if there was no "natural"
associativity familiar from mathematics.
From memory I think a `mod` b * c is an example. This caused some
complaints and was quietly dropped.

For let/where, my recollection is that the issue was raised and the
solution agreed on the same day at one of the Glasgow meetings in '88.
After that it was outside the domain of potentially ambiguous expression
constructs and was not considered further.

--brian