controlling resource usage

D. Tweed tweed@compsci.bristol.ac.uk
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:42:00 +0100 (BST)

> You've mentioned an idea due to Knuth. I would be grateful if you could send a
> reference to  it.

I came across it in one of the papers in Knuth's book Literate
Programming (can't be more precise from memory). I'm off to a conference
but will look it up and send you a more exact reference at start of next
week.

John Atwood's reference to the MAG system lead me to its interesting
homepage, which I hadn't known about before. I'll have to take a look at
that when I get back.

What I consider the key issue for such a system is to be incremental,
i.e., the work required upon changing a small part of the basic program
should be proportional to the size of that change and not to the
complexity of the entire program.

www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/pi.htm |tweed's law:  however many computers
email: tweed@cs.bris.ac.uk      |   you have, half your time is spent
work tel: (0117) 954-5250       |   waiting for compilations to finish.