Multithreaded stateful software

Mark Carroll mark@chaos.x-philes.com
Mon, 28 May 2001 14:02:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
(snip)
> 	http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/marktoberdorf.htm
>
> Haskell is a great language for writing concurrent applications.

Thanks! That's very interesting. In a way, I guess I'm taking something of
a leap of faith: if everything goes to plan, then the code may be used for
quite some time, being extended when necessary, so I must hope that
various useful GHC extensions, perhaps slightly modified, will go on to
hopefully be preserved and maintained in some form in GHC or some other
Haskell compiler. In choice of programming language, it's hard to trade
off wanting certainty of a good, free compiler still existing in a few
years' time that can compile your code with minimal tinkering, against
wanting to actually benefit from a lot of the important programming
language research that's gone on. (-:

I get the feeling that, although experimental, a lot of the various
extensions are probably more or less the way things will go and, of
languages in its class, Haskell seems to be doing really quite well, so
I'm not all that worried; really I'm just noting the issue.

But, back to the main point: thanks very much! These papers give me some
faith that maybe Haskell is now as generally useful as I'd hoped.

-- Mark