Functional programming in Python

Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza jcab@roningames.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 19:52:03 -0700

At 05:25 PM 5/25/2001 -0400, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:

>Admittedly, this is different from how haskell type checks now.  I guess
>the question is whether it is impossible to type check or whether it just
>requires modification to the type checking algorithm.  Does anyone know?

    I don't think so... The only ambiguity that I can think of is with
passing functions as arguments to other functions, and you showed that it
can be resolved by currying:

map f x

    would have to be force-curried using parenthesis:

(map f) x

    because otherwise, it would mean:

map (f x)

    which is both: very wrongly typed and NOT the intention.

    I like your parsing scheme. I still DO like more explicit languages
better, though (i.e. map(f, x) style, like C & Co.). Currying is cool, but
it can be kept at a conceptual level, not affecting syntax.

    Salutaciones,
                               JCAB

Juan Carlos "JCAB" Arevalo Baeza    | http://www.roningames.com
Senior Technology programmer        | mailto:jcab@roningames.com
Ronin Entertainment                 | ICQ: 10913692
                        (my opinions are only mine)
JCAB's Rumblings: http://www.metro.net/jcab/Rumblings/html/index.html