Functional programming in Python

Pertti Kellomäki pk@cs.tut.fi
Tue, 22 May 2001 11:32:31 +0300

> From: Ketil Malde <ketil@ii.uib.no>
> "Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <chak@cse.unsw.edu.au> writes:
> > You want to be able to write
>
> >   f 1 2 + g 3 4
>
> > instead of
>
> >   (f 1 2) + (g 3 4)
>
> I do?  Personally, I find it a bit confusing, and I still often get it
> wrong on the first attempt.

Same here. A while back someone said something along the lines that people
come to Haskell because of the syntax. For me it is the other way around.
My background is in Scheme/Lisp, and I still find it irritating that I cannot
just say indent-sexp and the like in Emacs. It is the other properties of the
language that keep me using it. I also get irritated when I get
precedence wrong, so in fact I tend to write (f 1 2) + (g 2 3), which to
my eye conveys the intended structure much better and compiles at first try.
--
pertti