Interesting: "Lisp as a competitive advantage"

Tim Sauerwein tim@galconn.com
Thu, 03 May 2001 17:09:25 -0700

Norman Ramsey wrote:

>  I would love to hear from a real Lisp macro hacker who has also done
> lazy functional progrmaming.

I am such a person.

Lisp macros are a way to extend the Lisp compiler.  Dylan's example
shows why this reflective power is sometimes useful.  Here is another
example.  I once wrote a macro to help express pattern-matching rules.
In these rules, variables that began with a question mark were treated
specially.

Having learned Haskell, I am not tempted to go back to Lisp.  Yet I
occasionally wish for some sort of reflective syntactic extension.

- Tim Sauerwein