Haskell-Cafe digest, Vol 1 #154 - 8 msgs

Mark Wotton mrak@cs.usyd.edu.au
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:13:59 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 haskell-cafe-request@haskell.org wrote:

> Message: 8
> To: haskell-cafe@haskell.org
> Subject: re: Biggest Haskell unit in the world
> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:47:37 +1000
> From: "Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <chak@cse.unsw.edu.au>
>
> Bernard James POPE <bjpop@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote,
>
> > Lyndon While writes:
> >
> > > So how about it? Can anyone beat 298 for a Haskell programming unit?
> > > For the record, I teach more advanced aspects of FP to (this year) 38
> > > students, too.
> >
> > Sorry Lyndon, we (melbourne uni) had 767 students sit our first year
> > subject which teaches Haskell. We teach it again in second semester too,
> > with over a hundred students.
>
> Computing 1A (taught in Haskell) at Uni of New South Wales
> has two streams with 731 + 247 students (the second stream
> is for good students who want some more challenge).  In
> second semester, we have about 600 students in that course.
>
> Lyndon While <lyndon@cs.uwa.edu.au> wrote,
>
> > Maybe together we can make Australia the most Haskellised
> > country in the world!
>
> We stand a good chance, I would say.

It's a small contribution, I know, but can I throw in 90 students at
Sydney Uni? Admittedly, most of the course was Prolog this year, much to
my chagrin: I'd much rather be marking Haskell scripts.

mrak