[off-topic] LaTex for [[ ... ]]

Andrew Moran moran@galconn.com
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:41:34 -0700

Joe English wrote:

> Fergus Henderson wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the off-topic post, but I figured someone here would know...
> > can anyone please tell me how to do the double-square-bracket symbols
> > that are often used in denotational semantics in LaTex?  It's like
> > "[[" but a single symbol without the space between the two brackets.
>
> It's often done by squishing together two ordinary square brackets
> with a negative thin space (\!):
>
>     \newcommand{\sembrack}[1]{[\![#1]\!}
>
> This looks good with Computer Modern; with other fonts YMMV.

There's also \llbracket and \rrbracket, from stmaryrd.  They look better than
the negative space hack, IMHO (now all I need is for Alan Jeffrey to write in
and say that \{ll,rr}bracket are implemented with the negative space hack :-)

Cheers,

Andy

--
Andy Moran                                              Ph.  (503) 526 3472
Galois Connections, Inc.                                Fax. (503) 350 0833