Another space leak question

Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:31:17 -0700

At 08:44 AM 7/3/2001 +1200, Tom Pledger wrote:

>Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza writes:
>  :
>  | Couldn't the garbage collector start doing reductions as soon as it
>  | can't free up enough heap?
>  :
>Despite their name, reductions don't necessarily reduce space use.

    Well, certainly not all, but certainly some of them would. (7+1) can
always be reduced down to 8, which does reduce space. Thus the necessary

>For more details, see:

    Yes, I remember that message. Still, it seems to me that a good RTS can
(and should) be sophisticated enough to exhaust all reduction possibilities
before giving up and aborting the program. Garbage collection is one (very
necessary) such thing. Forced reduction like I was saying is another
possible such thing.

    Only thing I can think of as a disadvantage to having this
functionality is that it promotes the creation of inefficient programs.

Juan Carlos "JCAB" Arevalo Baeza    |
Senior Technology Engineer          |
Ronin Entertainment                 | ICQ: 101728263
                        (my opinions are only mine)
JCAB's Rumblings is so off-line O:-(