Another space leak question

Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza jcab@roningames.com
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:32:50 -0700

At 10:14 AM 7/2/2001 +0000, kahl@heraklit.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de wrote:

>The reason is that the addition in step1 is deferred lazily,
>since its result is never needed.
>Therefore, unreduced additions accumulate.

    I just thought of a question for compiler/interpreter makers out
there... Couldn't the garbage collector start doing reductions as soon as
it can't free up enough heap? Like a second step in garbage collection.
It'd need some simple heuristic to decide what to reduce, but in the end,
Haskell being pure, the order of evaluations won't affect the result. Call
it an emergency garbage collection step.

    Is there anything I'm missing that would make this not possible?

    Salutaciones,
                               JCAB

Juan Carlos "JCAB" Arevalo Baeza    | http://www.roningames.com
Senior Technology Engineer          | mailto:jcab@roningames.com
Ronin Entertainment                 | ICQ: 101728263
                        (my opinions are only mine)
JCAB's Rumblings is so off-line O:-(