'any' and 'all' compared with the rest of the Report

Marko Schuetz marko@ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:59:02 +0100

From: Jan-Willem Maessen <jmaessen@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: 'any' and 'all' compared with the rest of the Report
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:09:07 -0500

> Bjorn Lisper <lisper@it.kth.se> replies to my reply:
> > >My current work includes [among other things] ways to eliminate this
> > >problem---that is, we may do a computation eagerly and defer or
> > >discard any errors.
> >
> > What you basically have to do is to treat purely data-dependent errors (like
> > division by zero, or indexing an array out of bounds) as values rather than
> > events.
>
> Indeed.  We can have a class of deferred exception values similar to
> IEEE NaNs.
>
> [later]:
> > Beware that some decisions have to be taken regarding how error
> > values should interact with bottom. (For instance, should we have
> > error + bottom = error or error + bottom = bottom?) The choice affects which
> > evaluation strategies will be possible.
>
> Actually, as far as I can tell we have absolute freedom in this
> respect.  What happens when you run the following little program?

I don't think we have absolute freedom. Assuming we want

\forall s : bottom \le s

including s = error, then we should also have error \not\le
bottom. For all other values s \not\equiv bottom we would want error
\le s.

            .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
             \                             /
              \                           /
                           .
                           .
                           .

                          error

                          bottom

Now if f is a strict function returning a strict function then

(f bottom) error \equiv bottom error \equiv bottom

and due to f's strictness either f error \equiv bottom or f error
\equiv error. The former is as above. For the latter (assuming
monotonicity) we have error \le 1 \implies f error \le f 1 and thus

(f error) bottom \le (f 1) bottom \equiv bottom

On the other hand, if error and other data values are incomparable.

                 .   .   .   .   .   error
                  \                   /
                   \                 /
                            .
                            .

                          bottom

and you want, say, error + bottom \equiv error then + can no longer be
strict in its second argument....

So I'd say error + bottom \equiv bottom and bottom + error \equiv
bottom.

> \begin{code}
> forever x = forever x
>
> bottomInt :: Int
> bottomInt = error "Evaluating bottom is naughty" + forever ()
>
> main = print bottomInt
> \end{code}
>
> I don't know of anything in the Haskell language spec that forces us
> to choose whether to signal the error or diverge in this case (though
> it's clear we must do one or the other).  Putting strong constraints
> on evaluation order would cripple a lot of the worker/wrapper-style
> optimizations that (eg) GHC users depend on for fast code.  We want
> the freedom to demand strict arguments as early as possible; the
> consequence is we treat all bottoms equally, even if they exhibit
> different behavior in practice.  This simplification is a price of
> "clean equational semantics", and one I'm more than willing to pay.

If error \equiv bottom and you extend, say, Int with NaNs, how do you
implement arithmetic such that Infinity + Infinity \equiv Infinity and
Infinity/Infinity \equiv Invalid Operation?

Marko