Specifications of 'any', 'all', 'findIndices'

D. Tweed tweed@compsci.bristol.ac.uk
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:23:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Mark Tullsen wrote:

> Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> > I'd rather write clear code, than worry about efficiency too early.
> > Who said this, "premature optimization is the root of all evil".
>
> I've always attributed this to Donald Knuth:
>
>   Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming.

In his paper on the errors of TeX (no proper ref but it's reprinted in his
book on Literate Programming) he calls it Hoare's dictum (i.e. Tony
Hoare) although the context suggests that this isn't an `official
name'. Dunno if Hoare heard it from someone else though...

www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/pi.htm|tweed's law:  however many computers
email: tweed@cs.bris.ac.uk | you have, half your time is spent work tel:
(0117) 954-5250 | waiting for compilations to finish.