Just for your fun and horror

Matthias Felleisen matthias@rice.edu
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:57:41 -0600 (CST)

   From: jhf@lanl.gov
   Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:53:13 -0700 (MST)
   Cc: karczma@info.unicaen.fr, haskell-cafe@haskell.org

   On 16-Feb-2001 Matthias Felleisen wrote:

   > Because imperative languages have named one half of the denotation (the
   > value return) and not all of it for a long long long time. It's too late
   > for Haskell to change that. -- Matthias

   Well now, if I am to understand what a return statement in C does,
   I must realize not only that it may return a value to a calling
   routine, but also that it preserves the store.  If it allowed
   the store to vanish, it wouldn't be very useful, would it?
   So I don't see how it's reasonable to assert that "return"
   means only one of these two things to a C programmer.

   Cheers,
   --Joe

Let me spell it out in detail. When a C programmer thinks about the
'return' type of a C function, he thinks about the value-return half
of a return statement's denotation. The other half, the modified store,
remains entirely implicit as far as types are concerned. This is what
Jerzy's exam question was all about.

-- Matthias