Primitive types and Prelude shenanigans

Fergus Henderson
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:14:14 +1100

On 15-Feb-2001, William Lee Irwin III <> wrote:
> Some reasonable assumptions:

I disagree about the reasonableness of many of your assumptions ;-)

> 	(1) lists are largely untouchable

I want to be able to write a Prelude that has lists as a strict data
type, rather than a lazy data type.

> 	(4) I/O libs will probably not be toyed with much (monads are good!)
> 	(5) logical values will either be a monotype or a pointed set class
> 		(may be too much to support more than a monotype)

I think that that replacing the I/O libs is likely to be a much more
useful and realistic proposition than replacing the boolean type.

> 	(9) probably no one will try to alter application syntax to operate
> 		on things like instances of class Applicable

That's a separate issue; you're talking here about a language
extension, not just a new Prelude.

> 	(10) the vast majority of the prelude changes desirable to support
> 		will have to do with the numeric hierarchy

s/numeric hierarchy/class hierarchy/

Fergus Henderson <>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
                                    |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
WWW: <>  |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.